A Poem I wrote a while back.


Dreams…
I remember a time when people were not judged for what they are,
Not mocked for their dreams,
Not put down for not conforming.

I remember dreams of fantasy-
Where anything was possible.
To climb the highest mountain or sail the furthest sea.

You told me you wanted to be an astronaut.
With delight you smiled at me,
to be among the stars was your dream.

And I listened in wonder.
Could it be true?
Could you really reach the stars?

In the stars dreams are held,
Or so you’d used to say.
You’d spend a week wishing on every one you’d see.

I smiled at the tales of your future adventures,
Your excitement was contagious,
And I knew, one day, that you would make it.

I had a secret, you see.
I wanted to be an astronaut too.
I wanted to reach a star for you,
And bring your dream closer to you.

Then you could wish on it,
And make your dream come true.
I watched the stars that very night, wishing on every one.
Hoping that some day, our wishes would come true.

The next day you had changed your mind.
You wanted to be an explorer,
And I found my wishes wasted.

Deep in the far off jungles,
That’s where dreams were found.
Again you would tell me your future adventures,
And what you hoped to find.

And I would be an explorer too! And we’d set off in the night,
Through the ancient overgrowth, together side by side,
We’d find our dreams entombed in some ancient, undiscovered temple.

So hidden were these dreams,
We feared we’d never find them and settled back on our original though,
And find them among the stars.

Last night I sat and stared at the stars,
And whispered what I’d remembered.
Wishing on the stars, hoping your dreams would come true.

You’d take my hand and kiss me softly,
Wishing in return.

I never knew that I’d find my dream, in you
And you in me, not the stars or distance placed.
Opened eyes enlighten us all, and awake us to our dreams.